[ExI] Etymology of Critter's Dilemma

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 13:26:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:19 AM, The Avantguardian wrote:
> I have considered your thoughts on the matter and decided to leave the moves as
> they are for the following reasons:
>
> 1. In the game theory of PD, defection is defined simply as "betrayal". CD
> doesn't alter that, it just defines the word more precisely in a larger
> context.
>
> 2. Critter's Dilemma is a direct evolutionary descendant of Prisoner's Dilemma
> and I feel I would be defecting on Axelrod, Nash, and other sources of my
> inspiration if I change the names of the moves. I would rather do violence to
> the definition of a word than to the memory of great thinkers.
>
> 3. The correspondence principle requires it. Similar to the way that quantum
> mechanics or special relativity reduces to classical mechanics in the limit of
> high or low energies respectively, so too shall Critter's Dilemma reduce to
> Prisoner's Dilemma in the limit of coercive systems like prisons, gladiatorial
> arenas, and non-free markets.

There is a new paper out that you might find of interest.

<http://www.physorg.com/news138381419.html>

Published: 16:16 EST, August 19, 2008

Fear of predators may be a bigger killer than the predators themselves

When biologists consider the effects that predators have on their
prey, they shouldn't just count the number of individuals consumed.
According to a University of Rhode Island ecologist, they must also
examine the effects of fear.
URI Assistant Professor Evan Preisser said that fear of being eaten
can reduce population densities as much or even more than the actual
quantities of individuals killed by predators.
"Prey are far from helpless victims of predators," said Preisser.
"They employ a wide array of defensive strategies to protect
themselves. But the costs of these strategies may have a larger impact
on their population than the direct effect of being eaten."

This effect reminds me of how in the US fear of terrorism is causing
much, much, more damage than any actual incidents of terrorism.

BillK