[ExI] Etymology of Critter's Dilemma

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 23:14:30 UTC 2008

--- BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> This effect reminds me of how in the US fear of terrorism is causing
> much, much, more damage than any actual incidents of terrorism.

>From the article:
---begin quote--
Preisser notes that fire ants, for example, are highly successful at finding
resources, but they are “totally freaked out” by a species of parasitoid fly
that lays its eggs inside the ants, which ultimately kills them.
“If one of these flies comes along, all the ants will hide and remain hidden
for a really long time,” he said. “Research by Donald Feener at the University
of Utah has shown that the flies actually have a very low success rate at
killing the ants because the ants are so good at hiding. They spend so much
time in hiding, however, that the whole ant population becomes weaker.”
---end quote---

Good catch, Bill. Apparently these parasitoid flies can cause a recession in
the economy of the fire ant colony. Fear is apparently more than just the
mind-killer.

Stuart LaForge

"A portion of mankind take pride in their vices and pursue their purpose; many more waver between doing what is right and complying with what is wrong." - Horace