[ExI] Human extinction

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Fri Aug 22 02:19:57 UTC 2008

From: "spike" <spike66 at att.net>
To: "'ExI chat list'" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

> For comparison, we have three friends who gave birth 8, 10 and 11 years
> ago.
> In all three cases, the mothers were very stoned during and after the
> birth,
> and don't remember much of it.

Stoned?  Were these unusually difficult births?

If not difficult births ... then, WHAT???  Just a decade ago?  Where was
this?

My two children were born in San Francisco (Kaiser Hospital, on Geary
Boulevard) nearly 40 years ago, and I was 100% awake throughout each
procedure (which I watched in a mirror).  I still remember the interesting
thoughts I had while I was going through these rather unusual events, and
the conversation I had with my husband about our few-minutes'-old daughter -
how she looked like his mother.  Then I was on the phone within an hour
talking to people.

Has medicine regressed THAT much?  I have read that a lot more Caesareans
are done now, too (I am supposing there is a good reason for this - I've not
kept up much with the state of birthing in USAmerica lately).

But, wait ... my daughter-in-law gave birth to two children within this past
decade.  Aside from having more nifty technology to monitor her pregnancy,
her experiences were similar to mine (and she wasn't stoned, either).

However, I have heard about how some women in the 1940s and 1950s in my
family were "put out" during labor.  When they awoke - presto-change-o - a
baby magically appeared by their side!  The "labor" was all done for them
while they were "out."

Olga

Olga