[ExI] Subject: Re: Human extinction

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Aug 22 15:03:10 UTC 2008

Amara writes

> Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk :
>
> > but a mother's expectations of childbirth can influence the pain she feels.
>
> Exactly. And that was my point. Here it is spelled out.
>
> In today's times, in at least _this_ (U.S., but I've been talking to my
> friends in Europe too), the woman is barraged from a young age that
> childbirth _must_ be excruciatingly painful...
>
> And the religious help all of
> this along with their images of women _necessarily_ suffering in
> childbirth, because, of course, she must pay for 'Eve's sin'.
>
> So no wonder she never even looks at possibilities to birth her baby
> another way, and no wonder she is terrified going into the hospital (not
> to mention that she never even considered if a hospital was necessary in
> the first place)...

I'm very interested in knowing just *how* it came to
this in the west. Thanks for the religious component
of the explanation.

Do you think it possible that the urge towards "zero
population growth", the famous ZPG, has also played
a role? By emphasizing the pain, hopefully fewer children
will be born.

Do you think it possible that feminism has played a role?
By emphasizing the pain involved, more women can be
attracted towards career focus and away from family life.

Lee