[ExI] VP for Creationism

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Aug 29 18:30:45 UTC 2008

Fun times for science (but then what's new--didn't Bush say the same thing?):

<http://scienceblogs.com/afarensis/2006/10/27/intelligent_design_and_the_ala/>

The volatile issue of teaching creation science in public schools
popped up in the Alaska governor's race this week when Republican
Sarah Palin said she thinks creationism should be taught alongside
evolution in the state's public classrooms.

Palin was answering a question from the moderator near the conclusion
of Wednesday night's televised debate on KAKM Channel 7 when she
said, 'Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy
debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a
proponent of teaching both.'

The
<http://www.adn.com/news/politics/elections/story/8347904p-8243554c.html>Anchorage
Daily News has more:
In an interview Thursday, Palin said she meant only to say that
discussion of alternative views should be allowed to arise in Alaska
classrooms:

"I don't think there should be a prohibition against debate if it
comes up in class. It doesn't have to be part of the curriculum."

She added that, if elected, she would not push the state Board of
Education to add such creation-based alternatives to the state's
required curriculum.

Members of the state school board, which sets minimum requirements,
are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Legislature.

"I won't have religion as a litmus test, or anybody's personal
opinion on evolution or creationism," Palin said.

*snip*
Palin said she thought there was value in discussing alternatives.

"It's OK to let kids know that there are theories out there," she
said in the interview. "They gain information just by being in a discussion."

That was how she was brought up, she said. Her father was a public
school science teacher.

"My dad did talk a lot about his theories of evolution," she said.
"He would show us fossils and say, 'How old do you think these are?' "

Asked for her personal views on evolution, Palin said, "I believe we
have a creator."

She would not say whether her belief also allowed her to accept the
theory of evolution as fact.

"I'm not going to pretend I know how all this came to be," she said.