[ExI] Gustav Coming to Louisiana: wish me luck

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sun Aug 31 02:01:57 UTC 2008

On Saturday 30 August 2008 17:51:56 BillK wrote:
> Actually, we do. I read that if you use the new 'hurricane nails' then
> they are proof up to a category 5 hurricane. The wood crumbles before
> the nails give way.
> Adds about 15 USD to the cost of a home.
>
> <http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2007/0302-hurricane_and_earthquake_resi
>stant_nails.htm>

This is a perfect example where a stitch in time saves nine.  Pre-planning is
much cheaper than cleaning up the mess after the fact.  The cost of evacuating
and rebuilding is much more than if we built more hurricane-proof structures.
I realize that they aren't impervious to floods or the worst hurricanes, but it
sure would save a lot of lives and money.

--
Harvey Newstrom <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI GSEC IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP