[ExI] Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear (Future Schlock)

PJ Manney pjmanney at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 03:19:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:
> Future Schlock
> http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200812/disney

Thanks, Max, for the article!  PJ O'Rourke is always a good laugh.

Disneyland's House of the Future is one of my favorite residential
structures ever.  Right up there in my book with Fallingwater and Sir
John Soane's home in London.  I went to Disneyland for the first time
the year after it was demolished, but when I met my husband, an
50s-60s Disneyland aficionado, he showed me the photos and plans.  I
was hooked.  Check out these photos:
http://www.davelandweb.com/hof/

Ever since, I've dreamed of building my own -- if I could build an
ecosustainable version.  Last year, Art Center in Pasadena held a show
on future architecture and they built a small HoF model.  Like a
dollhouse, you could look in the tiny windows at its proportions.
Fabulous.  <sigh>  Even more interesting was how well the design held
up to more modern examples.

I'm not surprised in the slightest at the latest attempt by Disney's
lack-of-imagineers.  If Congress didn't keep rolling back copyright to
make sure Mickey Mouse's ass was always covered, and if John Lassiter
didn't deign to merge Pixar to take over Disney animation, they'd have
nothing worthwhile design-wise right now.  What a waste of a legacy.
Walt is rolling in his grave (and no, he's not a cryo-popsicle).

PJ