[ExI] Re-framing Innovation re Consciousness

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue Jan 1 21:41:36 UTC 2008

On Dec 31, 2007, at 8:40 AM, nvitamore at austin.rr.com wrote:

> Innovation may have different meanings in different domains, but the
> fundamental, consistent characteristic of innovation is the ideation
> (invention) and development (practice) of something new or the
> rethinking
> and rearranging of something that is known in new ways.
>
> The methods of innovation are varied and since creativity is crucial
> innovation, methodologies cannot be rigid.  Because innovation is an
> act of
> developing something new or rethinking and rearranging something
> that is
> know in new ways, risk is involved.  Innovation also brings with it a
> personal and public apprehension about change, pushing boundaries,
> etc. as
> it causes individuals and society to reorganize a status quo.
> Innovation
> also affects different segments of society in different ways:  early
> adaptors, late adaptors, laggards, for example.
>
> When considering innovation in its relationship to progress/change
> within
> the context of perception and is transformation, we are within the
> domain
> of consciousness studies.  Because consciousness is an abstract idea
> and
> also something that everyone has no matter what particular domain they
> inhabit, innovation must be seen in this light, as an environment
> larger
> than any one specific domain.
>
> How would you reframe the concept of innovation in its relationship to
> progress and change within the context of perception and its
> transformation? Below are 4 areas in which innovation might be
> reframed.
> By reframing I mean changing the conceptual viewpoint or tilting, if
> you
> will, in bringing about innovation which could affect perception and,
> thereby, consciousness.
>
> 1. Innovation as it concerns risk:
>    a.  innovation as a catalytic action in pushing through
> boundaries of
> risk

Does this "pushing through" include radically reducing certain classes
of risk?

>    b.  innovation as a catalytic action in maintaining and furthering
> boundaries of risk
>
> 2. Innovation to recreate what is familiar to individuals and society:
>    a.  innovation for cognitive absorption of information/knowledge
>    b.  innovation for enhanced connectivity of people to view familiar
> ideas as a
> connective intelligence

Why emphasis on familiar ideas?  Where do radically new ideas come in?

> 3.  Innovation to shake up creative activity that stems from everyday
> behavior of regular/normal activities
>    a.  innovation for creating a consumer culture for progress-based
> consciousness
>    b.  innovation for creating a consumer culture of perception which
> leads to transformation

Why "consumer culture"?  What of innovation that creates a culture of
interacting peers much as the internet has?  I don't see why "consumer
culture" was placed here.

> 4.  Innovation in experience design to see, feel and experience more
>    a.  innovation in creating conceptual experiences to provide richer
> experiences
>    b.  innovation in creating conceptual experiences to satisfy
> individual
> or societal needs for the psychological purpose of inducing an sense
> of
> accomplishment or completion which results in a sense of emotional
> calm.

5) Innovation to extend understanding and abilities of all recipients
	a. change of paradigm due to increased and/or altered perception
	b. uplift of societal and individual optimism due to newly opened
possibilities as contrasted to discomfort of unknowns
	c. new incentives toward changed consciousness as old consciousness
existential grounding changes

- samantha