[ExI] Re-framing Innovation re Consciousness

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Tue Jan 1 23:19:24 UTC 2008

At 03:41 PM 1/1/2008, -samantha wrote:

> > How would you reframe the concept of innovation in its relationship to
> > progress and change within the context of perception and its
> > transformation? Below are 4 areas in which innovation might be
> > reframed.
> > By reframing I mean changing the conceptual viewpoint or tilting, if
> > you
> > will, in bringing about innovation which could affect perception and,
> > thereby, consciousness.
> >
> > 1. Innovation as it concerns risk:
> >    a.  innovation as a catalytic action in pushing through
> > boundaries of
> > risk
>
>Does this "pushing through" include radically reducing certain classes
>of risk?

Yes.

> >    b.  innovation as a catalytic action in maintaining and furthering
> > boundaries of risk
> >
> > 2. Innovation to recreate what is familiar to individuals and society:
> >    a.  innovation for cognitive absorption of information/knowledge
> >    b.  innovation for enhanced connectivity of people to view familiar
> > ideas as a connective intelligence

>Why emphasis on familiar ideas?  Where do radically new ideas come in?

Emphasis on familiar ideas:  In that familiar ideas when restructured
contextually bring about a change in perspective and, thus, perception.

When what has been familiar is rearranged within a new context, such
as in the context of a connective intelligence (i.e., Pierre Teilhard
de Chardin, Pierre Levy and/or Derrick de Kerckhove) or context of a
technological noosphere, new ideas come in.

> > 3.  Innovation to shake up creative activity that stems from everyday
> > behavior of regular/normal activities
> >    a.  innovation for creating a consumer culture for progress-based
> > consciousness
> >    b.  innovation for creating a consumer culture of perception which
> > leads to transformation
>
>Why "consumer culture"?  What of innovation that creates a culture of
>interacting peers much as the internet has?  I don't see why "consumer
>culture" was placed here.

Apart from economics and capitalistic views, a consumer culture
refers to the behavior of all life forms in that we
consume.  Regarding consciousness, humans consume food for energy to
think.  This is actually a play on concepts:  a culture that is a
"consumer culture" (in regards to economics/capitalism) would be
behaviorally prone to consume innovative information, sensory input,
etc. (such as produced in new media works of "experience
design"  which could alter consciousness.

> > 4.  Innovation in experience design to see, feel and experience more
> >    a.  innovation in creating conceptual experiences to provide richer
> > experiences
> >    b.  innovation in creating conceptual experiences to satisfy
> > individual
> > or societal needs for the psychological purpose of inducing an sense
> > of
> > accomplishment or completion which results in a sense of emotional
> > calm.
> >

>5) Innovation to extend understanding and abilities of all recipients
>         a. change of paradigm due to increased and/or altered perception
>         b. uplift of societal and individual optimism due to newly opened
>possibilities as contrasted to discomfort of unknowns
>         c. new incentives toward changed consciousness as old consciousness
>existential grounding changes

Thank you.  Let's discuss.

Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
PhD Candidate, Planetary Collegium - University of Plymouth - Faculty
of Technology
School of Computing, Communications and Electronics
Centre for Advanced Inquiry in the Interactive Arts

If you draw a circle in the sand and study only what's inside the
circle, then that is a closed-system perspective. If you study what
is inside the circle and everything outside the circle, then that is
an open system perspective. - Buckminster Fuller