[ExI] Survival

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 3 17:52:35 UTC 2008

At 08:46 AM 1/3/2008 -0800, Jef wrote:

>all of these "signals" necessarily emanate from a coherent whole --
>they are **far** from independent.  (This is related to the point I
>occasionally try to convey about the difference between probability
>and likelihood.)
>
>***************
>
>Related examples include "gaydar."  Or my dog's extreme sensitivity to
>mood and context, allowing her to infer meaning (in her limited terms)
>with amazing accuracy despite no real language abilities.

Last night I chanced to see part of an interview with actor Will
Smith, whom I found surprisingly articulate and thoughtful, genuinely
intelligent, until he started explaining that the secret of his
success was learning that we create our own realities, that 2 + 2
only equals 4 if you feel that it does, or the like. I went on alert,
and a moment later he used some expression that had me nodding and
muttering, "Jesus, he is a fucking Scientologist." It probably wasn't
as blatant as the phrase "at cause" but it was along those lines.
Later, google told me he's been hanging with Cruise and "studying"
$ci. My $cidar hadn't led me astray.

Damien Broderick