[ExI] A Simulation Argument

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 6 20:55:19 UTC 2008

At 12:57 AM 1/7/2008 +1100, Stathis wrote:

>You're making one other assumption which has no antecedence in
>experience, namely that reality should be "classical" unless someone
>is tampering with it. The only example of reality anyone has ever seen
>is non-classical.

Which I think was Harvey's real point. It's interesting to see how
words keep skewing our understanding. "Classical" really means
"narrow spectrum, parochially folk-theorized," just as "the wisdom of
the ancients" means "preliminary speculations from the childhood and
adolescence of careful thinking." Even a word like "observation"
manages to infect "non-classical" thinking with its animist or
intentionalist coloring.

Damien Broderick