[ExI] Universal languages (was: wta-talk Voting Members ...)

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 04:31:35 UTC 2008

On Jan 6, 2008 8:05 PM, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:
> How could that be? I start with no knowledge of the foreign system
> except that it must, somehow, operate by the same laws of logic,
> simplicity and thermodynamics that I do.

One leap might be to imagine a huge difference in scale.  Consider
what might be possible in a Tegmark multiverse; there could be
'intelligence' that requires a series of universes to be created and
destroyed for a single "thought" to occur. I'm not suggesting that we
would have any way to interact with such a mind.  So maybe your
thought experiment could be more limited?