[ExI] election stuff

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jan 11 06:44:21 UTC 2008

Oh my.  We just saw a thousand Kenyans slain over a questionable election.
We can see how an election could be easily designed to be private, fair and
verifiable, yet no democracy that I know of has made any effort to do it.
Am I the only one who sees a huge threat here?

Please note that this post isn't about any particular politician, it's about
elections in general and how we are losing confidence in the integrity of
the process itself:

http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/01/11/dennis-kucinich-calls-for-recount-
in-new-hampshire/

CONCORD, N.H. - Democrat Dennis Kucinich, who won less than 2 percent of the
vote in the New Hampshire primary, on Thursday called for a recount to
ensure that all ballots in his party's contest were counted.

He cites "serious and credible reports, allegations and rumors" about the
integrity of Tuesday results.

Kucinich alluded to online reports alleging disparities around the state
between hand-counted ballots, which tended to favor Barack Obama, and
machine-counted ones that tended to favor Hillary Clinton. He also noted the
difference between pre-election polls, which indicated Obama would win, and
Clinton's triumph by a 39 percent to 37 percent margin.

Deputy Secretary of State David Scanlan responded that Kucinich is entitled
to a statewide recount, but under New Hampshire law Kucinich will have to
pay for it. Scanlan said he had "every confidence" the results are accurate.