[ExI] FW: elections again (with new analysis)

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jan 18 07:43:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:18:50PM -0800, spike wrote:

> I find it more convincing than a rigged voting machine.  Still inadequately

Spike, no offense, but you haven't got the memo again. Exploits against
most to all voting machines have been demonstrated. It's not a conjecture,
but a demonstrated fact. The tin-foil hatted ones are the ones who haven't
heard, or still tend to believe it can't happen despite ample evidence.

It doesn't matter whether the exploitability is malicious or merely due
to incompetence (exceeding incompetence, though). The point is that whoever
pushes for voting machines now is almost certainly malicious, and whoever lets
this happen is criminally negiligent. Don't let your votes get stolen.
Insist on hand-counted vote verification.

It is possible to do voting securely, but since cryptography is hard it won't
happen. (The main crux is that nobody but an expert can review the system and
the protocol, while nobody else can follow that explanation so it's impossible
to tell experts from quacks, and the slightest deviation from the protocol
will render the system wide open. This is why we have security theater instead
of the real thing).