[ExI] Transhumanism and Politics

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jan 24 15:53:08 UTC 2008

> Stathis Papaioannou
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Transhumanism and Politics
>
> On 24/01/2008, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
> >The profit
> > element is why so much cool new medical technology is
> discovered here.
>
> A large proportion of important basic research, in medicine
> as in all other areas of science, is publicly funded even in the US.

> Stathis Papaioannou

Of course.  But a lot of interesting stem cell stuff for instance is
privately funded.  There are some holy grails, such as cloning stem cells
from non-embryo cells, that is worth a cool fortune, regardless of how it is
funded.  I saw that was done recently, which will get the religious right to
sign on.

Profits are our friends.