[ExI] Transhumanism and Politics

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:15:04 UTC 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 3:53 PM, spike wrote:
> Of course.  But a lot of interesting stem cell stuff for instance is
> privately funded.  There are some holy grails, such as cloning stem cells
> from non-embryo cells, that is worth a cool fortune, regardless of how it is
> funded.  I saw that was done recently, which will get the religious right to
> sign on.
>
> Profits are our friends.

We have had previous discussions on how many people in the US cannot
afford medical treatment and most that have medical insurance get it
as a perk of their job. A serious medical condition can bankrupt
middle class families in the US.  No need to go over old ground here,
is there?

Private medical companies can develop new drugs and charge to recover
their costs. The problem is the various methods of getting treatment
to those that need it.

Or we can just say, if they can't afford it, let them die. Which in
practice is what often happens.

That is what is concerning people about longevity treatments.
If we can't get today's drugs and treatments out to everyone that
needs it, why should longevity treatment be any different?

BillK