[ExI] EidolonTLP

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 12:26:28 UTC 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008, Antonio Marcos wrote:
> its 4am here(gotta sleep :(), but tomorrow I'll ask a
> question for you people about something that concerns
> me in the, lets call it, path to (possibly)
> singularity.. which is open science.. I know others
> have already raised this issue (kurzweil for one,
> along with 2 others in a conference, i dont quite
> remember now, but will search for tomorrow).. Actually
> they even mentioned (the guy from sun microsystems)
> calling the guy from apple, and the later saying "how
> can i help" (will get more details tomorrow).. which
> also generates problems with closing too much and
> slowing the process too much..
>
>  But my concern will be more practical and short-term,
> for sometime now I had those ideas of making science
> like opensource software, recently i discovered some
> similar projects popping up.. the efforts are quite
> scattered though yet, and not quite what i imagined..
> which is easy to fix though, and surely will sooner or
> later, but it raises some issues..

Mark, that's exactly the path that I have been considering. On the
hplus2 mailing list I have been talking about what I call the Open
Future Foundation, which may soon be hosting barcamps/unconferences but
with a twist -- they will also be open source, open access science
hackfests where we all bring equipment and projects to work on and have
at it. Plus there's lots of opportunity on the web to reformulate
hidden information into 'open tidbits'.

Openness is one of the main extropy principles.

See here:

On Sunday 13 January 2008, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> On Monday 07 January 2008, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> > On Sunday 06 January 2008, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> > > The Open Future Foundation
> > >
> > >   For the increasingly open realization of meaningful futures
> >
> >   Open Futurists choose to be thoughtful, dedicated individuals
> > that change their worlds. They help it to become more open, more
> > free and more real -- true to its potentials. You too can become an
> > open futurist.
> >     To find out how, click here to begin opening the future.
> >
> > (I have yet to set this up. I would still like to hear opinions.)
>
> Here's my refined idea. The link will be to a download to copy and
> imitate the website easily enough- a very simple template. The
> template will include a way to organize and run an unconference from
> nearly anywhere in the world, I am certain that there are interested
> businesses that will want to be listed in a database so that they can
> be located in the major cities and so on to provide the space, the
> food, and so on. It benefits them too. Anyway, the basic structure is
> an unconference like barcamp with heavy tech orientation, people show
> up from the local community and meet each other, find their mutual
> interests, and either out loud or on a wiki (so they bring a few
> laptops or boxes on a network) create and edit a set of initiatives
> that they want to pursue, whether it's biochemical SENS research or
> providing community educational support, anything.
>
> (The recent Slashdot article on the Pirate Party makes me wonder if
> we should be calling 'em open pirates instead of open futurists.)

Anyway, I hope you will help me out on my projects. I think we have many
interested people, but there's still lots of work to be done to get
things rolling. :)

- Bryan