[ExI] The Open Future Foudation [Foundation?]

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 04:36:37 UTC 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008, Antonio Marcos wrote:
> Well, I guess the best we can do now would be to 1st)
> catalog existing sites with the same premisse in the
> diverse fields (thats why i say they are scattered
> yet, then we can fix that.. also because it isnt very
> specific yet like a page listing current research for
> example).. I know for chemistry, biology, neurohack...
> Computer Science is moot(the whole internet :) also it
> so pervasive it will get in most other areas)..
> Electronics is similar in the internet, but could be
> more organized... engineering would be nice.. :) There
> are some science enthusiasts blogs too..

Sure, we need a map of the available community. I have 11,000 bookmarks
on these subjects that you list, but it's not a map and not a good way
to organize action.

> > Patenting is just for the legal system. The legal
> > stuff doesn't matter.
> > Let the politicians fight this out. That's their
> > battle. Not mine.
> > Meanwhile, I'll be doing whatever I can to help out.
>
> Isnt it a problem if we are inventing something and
> someone comes along and, lets say, links the final
> dots a little faster and invent something, patent and
> we cant use it anymore? I mean, we will probably
> evolve to openManufacture pretty soon after a good
> invention is made, and there is at least a well
> organized group around this. so..

Just because something is patented does not mean we can not physically
go do the same thing. Patenting is usually for the money opportunities
or for economics and other stuff.

> Sure, but i dont let my door unlocked at day-break.
> (hmm, first time in my life I use this term, hopefully
> its well formatted ;D)

That's because you just don't have the redundancy to be OK with leaving
your door unlocked. I think we can change this situation with
technologies to enhance our ability to, say, regrow ourselves should
something happen to us or our material possessions.

> > Nah, even if people patent stuff, there's going to
> > be people that do not
> > patent. See, even if people do patent something, it
> > doesn't matter. We
> > can still come up with the same information and
> > knowledge.
>
> The problem is the ones that do, not doing it doesnt
> help there. Why it doesnt matter? Im not so sure..
> what you mean "still come up with"? still use the
> info? What if we cant produce a gadget because its
> patented, or the info allowing the building? I really

The info to build it can be made again. Reverse engineering, or forward
engineering of our own design. I know, it's painful, but that's what
the situation calls for.

> hope so! but im not so sure, what if people outside
> the openscience movement start getting "out of ideas"
> for example.. the problem is the very beginning, while
> the closed mentality is still ingrained in people,

Let them have their closed mentality (in the context of my last few
suggestions about the 'patenting' problems and 'profit problem' etc.)

> but the idea people have of it isnt, thats why it
> works.

Okay. But we can still do stuff without money.

> > What we need to do is
> > focus on moving towards an era of abundance,
> > probably via
> > self-replication technology and the empowering
> > ability of
> > nanotechnology.
>
> Maybe our capacity to 'prepare' isnt that good.

Certainly not at this point ... but I also think that in the context of
being open, new solutions will develop and arise to help the monetary
issues that you are concerned about. (I know, this sounds like
hand-waving, doesn't it?)

> > > 3) Security and Responsability:
> >
> > You can't prevent misuse.
>
> We can discourage somehow?

Not by threat, force, or authority. But education, perhaps? :)

> > Screwups will happen. We need to be prepared.
>
> HOW?? I think all those more pressing questions should
> go in the initial page.

Education?

> > Then we will be open for as long as humanly
> > possible.
>
> Lets try to maximize this?

Absolutely.

- Bryan