[ExI] The Open Future Foudation [Foundation?]

Antonio Marcos amcmr2003 at yahoo.com.br
Sat Jan 26 15:06:23 UTC 2008

--- Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> escreveu:

> Sure, we need a map of the available community. I
> have 11,000 bookmarks
> on these subjects that you list, but it's not a map
> and not a good way
> to organize action.

Great. I can work on it once I get back to 'HQ'
(hahaha) :)

> Just because something is patented does not mean we
> can not physically
> go do the same thing. Patenting is usually for the
> money opportunities
> or for economics and other stuff.

Hope you're right. I would investigate further though.
We cant post nintendo's schematics online legally, and
thats what its going to be, to the eyes of the legal
system, if someone comes up with something just before
everyone else publish it.

> That's because you just don't have the redundancy to
> be OK with leaving
> your door unlocked.

I was making the point of protecting somehow, then you
said "nothing is truly secure" meaning its
useless/hopeless to try to secure anything, now you're
suggesting redundancy? where are you going?

> I think we can change this
> situation with
> technologies to enhance our ability to, say, regrow
> ourselves should
> something happen to us or our material possessions.

You must be kidding me.. thats VERY far ahead, if we
EVER get there.. im trying to stablish secure grounds
to make possible to get there, and not blow ourselves
in the way.

> The info to build it can be made again. Reverse
> engineering, or forward
> engineering of our own design. I know, it's painful,
> but that's what
> the situation calls for.

Well, we would have all research to do it (my
supposition is based on someone 'stealing'/using the
data to complete the project before the open minded
individuals). The problem is being legally
constrained.

> Let them have their closed mentality (in the context
> of my last few
> suggestions about the 'patenting' problems and
> 'profit problem' etc.)

i dont care for they mentality, as long as it doesnt
hit me. i hope you're right.

> Okay. But we can still do stuff without money.

ok. eventually this will be fixed by 'itself'.

> > Maybe our capacity to 'prepare' isnt that good.
>
> Certainly not at this point ... but I also think
> that in the context of
> being open, new solutions will develop and arise to
> help the monetary
> issues that you are concerned about. (I know, this
> sounds like
> hand-waving, doesn't it?)

:) .. to destroy something s much easier than to
create/protect it.. Im concerned with the "gray goo"
sort of problem.
Found a nice link here:
http://www.e-drexler.com/d/06/00/EOC/EOC_Chapter_11.html

i'll read that, and stop bugging the list :)

> > > You can't prevent misuse.
> >
> > We can discourage somehow?
>
> Not by threat, force, or authority. But education,
> perhaps? :)

yes but we have to come up with ways to maximize the
'educated' people that will be able access. Do you
think a disclaimer in each video, or each tutorial or
article will suffice? maybe.

> > > Screwups will happen. We need to be prepared.
> >
> > HOW?? I think all those more pressing questions
> should
> > go in the initial page.
>
> Education?
>
> > > Then we will be open for as long as humanly
> > > possible.
> >
> > Lets try to maximize this?
>
> Absolutely.
>
> - Bryan