[ExI] [Hplusroadmap] Is this Extropic?

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Sat Jul 5 17:01:59 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Bryan Bishop <kanzure at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 05 July 2008, Amara Graps wrote:
>> Thanks for the pointer.. believe me that I'm doing everything I can
>> to make sure that I provide the kind of environment to support and
>> stimulate creativity in my own child (yet unborn!)
>
> I'm still recovering from my experiences in public education. I haven't
> yet figured out how to exactly verbalize in entirety how ridiculous it
> was, and others do it much better than I have yet figured out how to:
>        http://www.cantrip.org/gatto.html
>
>> btw, has anyone noticed that Kevin Kelly is making extensive use of
>> the word: "extropic" these days?

Brian, I'm jumping in here for just a moment to say I think you (and
Kevin Kelly) are poking at some very interesting questions of deep
interest to this discussion list, at least as this list was originally
conceived.  I find much in your comments worthy of criticism (in
contrast with so much else that is unworthy of criticism) and some
that begs for elaboration.  But realizing the inadequacy of this
medium for multilevel, multifaceted collaboration for extended
meaning-making, I'll simply reiterate my suggestion to you to acquire
a deeper understanding of evolutionary processes, e.g. genetic
algorithms, esp. hierarchical Bayesian and estimation of distribution,
and also to gain the invaluable experience of getting your hands dirty
working on a SINGLE problem which is fundamentally hard (as opposed
to, for example, merely logistically difficult.)

Onward!

- Jef