[ExI] Is this Extropic?

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 17:18:23 UTC 2008

On Saturday 05 July 2008, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Kevin Kelly wrote:
> > A timeline of where we expect these cost/benefit/risk-thresholds to
> > fall in each sector of our civilization, or a field map of places
> > we can see where our linear lives cross exponential change --
> > either would be very handy to have.
>
> I'd avoid the cost/benefit/risk-thresholds in terms of segmentation
> and sectoring; but a map of technologies for the exponential
> evolutionary influence to seep into otherwise linear, stale
> processes, is an interesting plan, and I submit that the SKDB system
> (or whatever we call it) is the right tool for that job (societal
> engineering / mapping and for the proposals of evolutionary
> approaches to different problems), but as to the validity of a map or
> ontology for describing it all? I think that's still suspect.

Grumble grumble. I dislike forgetting my own ideas. I was talking with
another individual yesterday about this and mentioned an intriguing
formulation of software development for biotech development. A group
calling itself a biogang threw up a wiki and a few blogs somewhere out
on web and implements a cyclical "burst work" model. They assemble, do
some work, and then leave it in whatever state it is when they decide
to leave, much like F/OSS projects that die off*. The work is made
completely accessible for anyone else to continue it. Projects
don't "die" because the group fails to follow through, it only "dies"
if they fail to throw up relevant information, files, schematics, code.
The bursty model is obviously implemented in email, instant messaging,
and to some extent our behaviors -- ALT+TAB over to email, click click
click, go back to the other screen to do something else, sit, think,
sip of coke, tap tap tap, repeat. This 'random' convergence of
interested individuals is what can keep a springboard from failing
completely and how you can jump from one fractal stratification to the
next or iterate through the entities (planets of the star system, or
galaxies of the cluster, or using the FreeCar** system to leave cars
for individuals to cycle through a city) of the current cycle/set. It
solves the original problem of material input in that when you're doing
that "jump" you're typically estimating the amount of material
resources that you're going to have access to, and so you have overall
limits to perceived possible growth (it'd be irresponsible to
voluntarily become cancerous, for instance). So while you still have
the purity requirements for materials, you also start off with the
typical landscaping scenario of surveying, analysis, measurements, so
you know (somewhat in advance) what you're getting yourself into. You
could prepare different separation processes from the metallurgical
sciences or materials engineering disciplines, etc. The individual
tools allowing separate agents to explore and settle these regions are
commonly already available in software, which allows for those units of
bursty work to be constructed and piped together. The overall
architecture of the preservation and integration of the separate
projects / tools / systems that are 'left alone' is a fairly good
description of what goes into SKDB. For instance, an electric vehicle.
And so this is a basis to making the springboading and fractal
stratification work, especially for specific projects. And it fixes the
problem of purity of inputs as I explained. But this doesn't explain
how to strategically enhance and implement those bursty work cycles
into actually happening. We can do better than just sitting around
waiting for something awesome to happen. Personal incentives or plain
old configuration/style options and such are an interesting idea --
it's the reason why people paint their cars, or put stickers on their
doors. Customization. I suppose simply by exerting social or selective
pressures these extropic values can be promoted, but this strategy of
just hoping for the right people to show up? Max, is that a good method
of extropic strategizing?

An 'extropic map' (really a roadmap), which is essentially what Kevin
Kelly is looking for (hey, he's the first result on Google
for 'extropic map' -- not a coincidence), would map out the extents of
and functional basises and drives for improvements and growth. I think
he wants a map so that he can watch out for the intersection of linears
and exponentials, or if I am allowed some extra creative license, so
that we can strategically promote/do the bursty work to functionally
implement and scoptically increase the values that we (those in a
particular bursty work group) share. It's not a matter of long term
thinking, it's a matter of extropic thinking, or really just extropy.
The problem with this is that we're right back where we started, this
would be turning back into yet another discussion on the implementation
of extropic strategies and guides of these strategies. Haven't we gone
over this too many times by now? What did we get out of it previously?

- Bryan

* for instance, openmosix is a recently dead project that has been
resurrected by some individuals that I've been hanging around, although
I admit I haven't contributed code due to the daunting kernel review
task that I'd have to chug through :-)

** this isn't the actual name of the group/project, but it's out there
somewhere.