[ExI] [Fwd: AGI Mailing List [WAS Re: The AGI and limiting it]]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Fri Mar 7 17:00:16 UTC 2008

I just realized that this message of mine, which I intended to send to
the list, only went to the person who wrote to me offlist, so here it is.

[name omitted] wrote:
>> Richard Loosemore> You will find that a much broader and more vigorous
>> discussion of AI
>> safety issues has been taking place on the AGI mailing list for some
>> time now.
>
> Could you please give me some directions to this AGI mailing list? I
> can't seem to find it.

There actually two close lists, both organized by AGIRI.org:  the "AGI"
list and the "Singularity" list.  Both of these can be found at
http://www.agiri.org/email/.

As a historical aside, the Singularity list was formed precisely because
of the attacks made against me on the SL4 list in August 2006, which
resulted in a great deal of dissatisfaction with the dictatorial
policies of the SL list.  When I made a move to set up an alternative to
SL4, Ben Goertzel quickly stepped in and formed yet another alternative,
and eventually everyone drifted to the AGI/Singularity combination.

AGI is supposed to be about technical discussion of AGI, but in practice
many people belong to both lists because they are hosted together, so
discussions of singularity-related topics tend to appear as much on the
AGI list as on the Singularity list.  (Not that I want to encourage
this, but it is a fact).

If you are interested in the friendliness question in particular, I am
in the process of collecting my writings on the subject, to put them in
more permanent form on my blog.  I will post a link to this blog when it
is set up.  (I know I am always saying that ;-), but I work from crisis
to crisis, so there is always one more important thing for me to do... ).

Richard Loosemore