[ExI] The Monkey Experiment, (or) "Why Do We Do That?"

ablainey at aol.com ablainey at aol.com
Sun Mar 9 00:55:12 UTC 2008

 From: John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>

I hope in time the?Boy Scout leadership will?change their mind regarding having a martial?arts merit badge.

John

 I'm not sure if I agree with the idea of a martial arts merit badge. In principle it sound like a good idea, but the virtues gained from martial arts are attained slowly
at a controlled pace. Or certainly should be if the practitioner manages to avoid the rainbow belt Mc'Dojo's which are far too numerous. I don't think much can be taught in the time scale of gaining a merit badge other than basic self defence. Which doesn't begin to cover the self respect and self control issues. Still if it is coupled with the grade system so a Scout could only start his badge when they have attained a certain grade, then this would be very good.
Personally I would rather see kids attending both Scouts and a decent dojo.

Alex