[ExI] ExI] Armchair Evolutionary Psychology: Larks vs Night Owls

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sat Mar 15 14:12:03 UTC 2008

Dear Emlyn:

These links:

>Possibilities for eye & hair color:
>- unique sexual selection pressures in northern europe:
>http://www.ehbonline.org/article/S1090-5138(05)00059-0/abstract
>- An interesting discussion here, refuting some ideas:
>http://evoandproud.blogspot.com/2007/10/why-are-europeans-whiter-than-north.html
>- And some more stuff, detail is interesting:
>http://neurologicalcorrelates.com/wordpress/2007/10/28/pigment-last-time-i-promise/

are especially interesting to me!  I'll explain why later, but I want to
thank you, now, for them.

And this link you gave was interesting too:

"What happened in human history to make O blood dominant in our society?
>http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2003-10/1067015749.Ge.r.html

which gave me a clue why I get urinary tract infections so easily (my
blood type is a relatively rare: AB+).

Madsci writes:
"It seems likely that some pathogens eventually evolved an ability to
use the A and B antigens to infect cells. For example, Staphylococcus
saprophyticus preferentially causes urinary tract infections in blood
type A and AB women. In addition, some pathogens present these same
antigens on their own cell surfaces. For example, Escherichia coli
strain 086 presents the B antigen, and this antigen is readily
recognized by anti-B antibodies in blood type A and O people, protecting
them from infection."

And did you follow up more writings from the neurologicalcorrelates blogger,
regarding stem cell release?? He/she writes:

"I wonder if this stem cell release has something to do with who is a
night-owl and who is an early bird?"
http://neurologicalcorrelates.com/wordpress/2008/03/09/stem-cells-in-our-bodies-are-released-according-to-our-body-clock-not-some-artificial-government-program-which-has-dubious-value/

Amara
--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado