[ExI] Armchair Evolutionary Psychology: Larks vs Night Owls

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 17:03:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 5:15 PM, PJ Manney <pjmanney at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are simply sensitive to how we are really wired.  Without the sun
> as a cue, individuals vary in circadian rhythm length, with a median
> of a 25 hour cycle:
> http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/1999/07.15/bioclock24.html

Thank you. Very interesting. I should perhaps spend more time in the sun
(and in darkness at night...). :-)

> Without my lark husband and kids to wake me, I would revert to my
> usual night owl behavior, about an hour later every night, until I
> reach a 2 - 3 am bedtime.  Then I collapse.

So do I, but simply because my job requires my waking up relatively early in
the morning.

I am left in peace, I go on shifting until I end up going to bed in late
morning, afternoon, early in the evening and then up to another cycle
again... :-)

I gave it a try once, on vacation, in happier times, and I was actually much
better on a 25 hours cycle. Perhaps I should give permanent melatonin
supplementation a try. Of find another, better-syncronised planet or
habitat... :-)

Stefano Vaj