[ExI] Arthur C. Clarke dies

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 07:56:05 UTC 2008

John K. Clark wrote:
I am sad, very very sad.

So am I.  In many ways my introduction to proto-Transhumanist ideas came
from Arthur C. Clarke.  Between watching the film masterpiece "2001," and
reading "Childhood's End" and my beloved "Profiles of the Future," I owe him
such a debt of gratitude.

What other prominent SF writers are out there that are old and/or in bad
health and soon may die?

Max More wrote:
When a real visionary like ACC passively and consciously accepts the
permanent extinction of natural death, I can't but help find it a bit
depressing.

I thought among old school Secular Humanists/Atheists that
accepting death/oblivion of the self was seen as noble and even sort of
"macho."

I've heard that only a relatively tiny fraction of science fiction writers
are signed up or at least even seriously interested in cryonics.  A common
notion among cryonicists/Transhumanists is that a SF writer would be vastly
more prone toward wanting a cryonics policy but that does not seem to be the
case.  They may be great at imagining possible future worlds but that does
not mean they really want to *live* in the reality of whatever our distant
future is if it means upsetting friends, family and the status quo in an
attempt to get there.

Max More wrote:
Truly, I don't hold Clarke's decision against him (much). Still, it's
worth pointing out the cold underlying reality of his thinking.

As cryonicists have pointed out, it's very ironic when a bestselling SF
writer like Clarke declines being frozen and yet a humble tv repairman,
etc., will grasp the opportunity and make arrangements to have it done when
they die.

Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
I think that as long as not signing up for cryonics for stupid reasons
remains socially acceptable, people are going to go on not signing up
for cryonics for stupid reasons.  Only when they realize that everyone
else is going to look at them like they're an idiot, will it occur to
them that they might be doing something idiotic.
What we need around here is more peer pressure.  Friends don't let
friends die.

Eliezer, are there smart reasons for not signing up for cryonics? lol  I do
like the idea of positive peer pressure to make sure "friends don't let
friend die!"  : )  I think this is why having local chapters of various
Transhumanist/cryonicist groups is so important.

Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
The following is a public service announcement:
       PLEASE STOP DYING

Sadly, this is still much easier said than done...

John Grigg