[ExI] META: The Evils of HTML

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri Mar 21 12:47:51 UTC 2008

MB writes

> Lee writes:
>
>> Kevin, I couldn't tell who was saying what either.  I would repeat
>> the customary plea for people to not use HTML if at all possible.
>> Try harder to find the settings in your email client, or in a dropdown
>> menu somewhere, or on the web page from where you are posting.
>
> I have the same problem with attributions and often just give up on posts that seem
> to make no sense because of this.

Yeah, I think it's pretty widespread.

>> Not only that, a lot of people just skip HTML because of the
>> inevitable top-posting, bottom posting, and general confusion
>> attending such posts. Not only that, but it's felt that serious
>> posters---people who want their ideas to be addressed seriously
>> ---will take the pains to avoid HTML.
>
> I've tried hard to use text, but I've been unable to find the setting that will show
> attribution. :(  Very annoying.  SquirrelMail.

Oh, well, I myself almost always edit the machine-produced initial
attribution line, to make it more readable. But then the effort is
worth it to me not only because I'll increase my readership, but
also on the principle (and duty, really) that I should be as responsible
as possible posting on lists, to raise the overall list quality.

> If my posts come through all messed up like those others I *hope* someone will
> please let me know.  It's very hard for me to see them as others see them. ;)

They look fine to me!  That is, I don't recall seeing anything wrong.

Will do.

Regards,
Lee