[ExI] Technology re: What makes us human.

citta437 at aol.com citta437 at aol.com
Fri Mar 21 13:34:01 UTC 2008

>From science website on what makes us human:
"Technology

Some of the apes are famous for tool use, but none make tools which
consist of more than one working part. Humans are the only animal to
have mastered technology.

At its most basic level we use technology to feed, house, clothe and
transport ourselves. With it we can contain ourselves within our own
tropical micro-environments and inhabit every inhospitable corner of
the globe.

Back to the future

We are probably the only species on the planet to contemplate its own
origins and its own future. By looking back over evolutionary time, by
understanding the stuff we're made from, we might be able to plan what
we need for the future. Our planet cannot last forever because the sun
only has a limited life time before it burns us all to a frazzle.

Will humans be the first animal species from Earth to develop the
technologies to take the micro-environment that they need into space?
Might sound far-fetched but ultimately this is what our species will
have to do if it is to survive."

I googled the above and scrolled down to the last paragraph under
technology. Thanks to our rich cultural heritage in history, philosophy
and science we have an advantage from other animal species using
sophisticated technology and mathematical language to discover and
understand our nature.

Terry