[ExI] mb's story

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Mar 23 15:27:10 UTC 2008

MB, now you're teasing us.  I am interested in these kinds of stories.  They
are your family!  You only get one family in this life.

> but it was
> the final motivation for the move to the US. The others of
> course were the dream of success/freedom...

Who others?  Did they reach their dream?  How?

> and the desire not
> to be conscripted into some local warlord's army...

What army?  When?

> They were of different faiths and thus could not marry where
> they lived...

What faiths?

> So he came and made a bit of money...

Who made money?  How did he make money?

> and a place
> for himself and sent for her and she came and they married...

Cool!  Then they spawned you, and now we benefit.

> One by one his brothers came over, as money allowed...

Brothers and their families?  Or just single men?

> The happy couple settled their religion problem by not going
> to church again. I kinda like that. Makes me feel like I'm
> following a family tradition - the church part, that is. ;)
>
> Regards,
> MB

MB, this is why I am being annoyingly nosey about this.  I am writing up my
family's history.  I have discovered a distant cousin who is going
overboard.  I volunteered to compile his family history.  Turned out to be a
big job.  I have over 200 pages so far (if I printed out the microsloth word
file) and I am only a third of the way thru what he has already written.
But they are some really good stories.  He was born on a subsistence farm in
Idaho in the depths of the great depression of the 1930s.

Even if you choose not to share it here (and that's OK too) MB I urge you
and everyone here to collect as much family info as you still can and get it
recorded in a digital file, along with photos etc.  Do it for your own
offspring, even if you personally don't get along well with your ancestors
or offspring.  It might be your most important legacy.