[ExI] mb's story

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Mon Mar 24 02:20:47 UTC 2008

spike writes:
> MB, this is why I am being annoyingly nosey about this.  I am writing up my
> family's history.  I have discovered a distant cousin who is going
> overboard.  I volunteered to compile his family history.  Turned out to be a
> big job.  I have over 200 pages so far (if I printed out the microsloth word
> file) and I am only a third of the way thru what he has already written.
> But they are some really good stories.  He was born on a subsistence farm in
> Idaho in the depths of the great depression of the 1930s.
>
> Even if you choose not to share it here (and that's OK too) MB I urge you
> and everyone here to collect as much family info as you still can and get it
> recorded in a digital file, along with photos etc.  Do it for your own
> offspring, even if you personally don't get along well with your ancestors
> or offspring.  It might be your most important legacy.

Spike, I have in my possession some 25 typewritten and xeroxed hand written "books"
of genealogy from both sides of my family. It was one of my grandfather's passions
which the younger of my brothers has taken on. I have the "emergency backup copies"
of the stuff hardest to replace.  Letters, letters, letters. Various certificates
and licenses and awards. Photographs. Bits and pieces of family lore.

The man I wrote of who came here made his way as a shoemaker.

Good luck working with your project. It can be quite a fascinating subject and also
can make one think.

Regards,
MB