[ExI] safer now;

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 00:45:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Gary Miller <aiguy at comcast.net> wrote:

> Jeff you sound rather committed to the establishment of a new world order.
>
> With that level of commitment and many of the countries in the world
> teetering much closer to the brink than the the United States to revolution
> and overthrow I wonder why you are not taking advantage of the nearer
> opportunities and establishing your new world order there.

Someone has said that humans are inherently political creatures.  I
agree, but don't feel good about that, particularly for me as a
personal matter.  I -- whoops! -- gave in to that human impulse and
posted what in hindsight I see as flamebait (impotent, masturbatory,
political mouth-flapping.  A pathetic waste of time.)  Sorry.  I
apologise to everyone.

More and more I try to remind myself that the way of progress, the way
to the "extropian" (ie dynamically optimistic) future, is through
public sector entrepreneurialism.  Nation states and their political
elites are the legacy plague of power-addicted ego-paths.  So I'm
trying to concentrate on those things which impact me personally, lie
within my personal sphere, and on which I can have some genuine
impact.  But it's still hard to divert my gaze from the
ever-entertaining television-delivered drama of the rich and powerful.

So, put me down as someone pursuing a New Personal Order.  For the
world...well...if you'll forgive an attempt at cleverness, then put me
down as one in favor of a New World Disorder: fewer bombs and goose
stepping, and more doing one's own thing and minding one's own
business.

> Should you succeed in establishing a utopian society where many others have
> failed I am sure that as other countries become disillusioned with their
> current forms of government they will choose to model their new societies
> after yours.
>
> Just out of curiousity what country or countries in the world today are
> closest to your ideas of a utopian government and how do they still differ
> from your ideal?

I don't really think you're sincere in your question, but I'm in a
particularly calm mood so I'll answer.

Oddly, I find myself living in Canada in summer and Mexico in winter
these days.  And the cultural differences are interesting (though I
wouldn't dream of calling either of these ideal or utopian).   The
Canada I have found is a lovely sort of gentle benign place without
goose-stepping or pretensions to such.  It leaves me feeling that my
life belongs to me and not some amped-up world crusade.  And Mexico --
Baja at least -- is so seemingly devoid of bureaucratic intrusion (I'm
probably just projecting my wishes onto my lack of experience) that
again I feel like my life belongs to me.  For example I can take my
dogs almost anywhere and no one complains -- unless they misbehave,
which they haven't yet.  And anyone can smoke just about anywhere (I
don't, but  I could) and no one says boo, unless the smoke is going
right in their face, in which case the necessary adjustments are made
-- and politely.   That's another thing I like about Mexican culture
(speaking as one who knows absolutely nothing about it).  The folks
here seem to insist of being polite.  When they have a  problem with
you, they don't get up in your face, but rather, they cleverly find a
polite, deliberately respectful  way of addressing the issue.  Very
impressive.

Anyway, these experiences are making me rethink some cultural habits
and what I might have once thought of as a "utopian" society.  When
I'm through mulling it over I'll maybe get back to you.  Till then I
wish you luck in your endeavors, cause basically I suspect we're all
after much the same thing: a better arrangement in a still imperfect
world.

Whoops! gotta go.  Time for my next dose of soma.  No time for a spell
check, you're on your own.

Best, Jeff Davis

I know it is a weakness of human nature to become emotionally invested
in inconsequential tribal spats, but people who want to be
transhumanists need to be able to get past that almost as a
prerequisite.  In fact, a good portion of the transhumanist ideals are
all about shedding this behavior.
                 j. andrew rogers