[ExI] Gigideath was aboriginal humans

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 19:42:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>
wrote:
>  >  While I think power sats are a crucial tech, I would not so quick to
>  >  discard earth-based nuclear fusion...
>
>  It's not a matter of discarding it, it's the second best power source
>  besides power sats.
>
>  But it's incredibly dangerous.  Not just because of such things as
>  there being no way to get rid of he waste, come cell repair machines
>  who will care?  The problem is any neutron source can be diverted into
>  making extremely high grade plutonium.  With much of that floating
>  around homemade city busting nukes become something a well funded
>  street gang can make.

I am afraid that unless we are ready to go for solutions making *1984*
and *Brave
New World* blush, we are eventually going to have to live with it anyway. It
is not as if we can forever prevent people - let alone governments - from
playing with neutrons.

Inertia-based or tokamak-like fusion reactors, however, are not exactly your
everyday primary-school science show-and-tell homeworks, for the time being.
And speaking of WMD, there are many other equally dangerous alternatives not
too far away.

In any event, it has never been too clear to me why the president of the US
of A should be trusted more not to get too nervous with the finger on the
trigger than any other entity...

>  You need materials, but given lots of energy you can almost get by on
dirt.

Yes, that's exactly my point.

Stefano Vaj