[ExI] Network segmentation was Re: America: Home of All Evil

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 21:38:36 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com> wrote:

> Is there a genetic basis (probably even coupled to cultural
> practice via cultur-gens (Lumsden and Wilson, 1981)) to
> the resentment of the richest or most powerful other tribe?
> What would be an EP explanation?  Has it anything to do
> with Pierre Trudeau's graphic economic characterization
> of "being in bed with an elephant"?   I really hate it when
> people just ask questions, without making even the least
> effort of an answer themselves---but here I'm doing it,
> but only, because of lack of time and space.

### Here is my interpretation: Network segmentation is crucial for survival.
By network segmentation I mean (as in a previous post), the division of
social and other (i.e. telecommunications, software, ecological) networks
into interacting but distinctive subnetworks that differ in their network
protocols sufficiently to prevent spreading of networked modes of failure.
All highly complex networks are prone to the spreading of deleterious and
unforeseen influences. By unforeseen I mean also "not yet weeded out by
natural selection". By influences I mean viruses, computer viruses, power
surges, memes, and other problems depending on the type of network in
question (immune, IP, electric power, legal-right-to-kill).

In our evolutionary history there were millions of little tribal networks
and subnetworks that formed, and mutated. The legalized right to kill
(within a network) and the ability to kill (between small networks) had a
profound impact on the survival of constituent nodes of these networks (i.e.
humans) and provided strong selective pressure acting through the selection
of individual preferences that could produce more stable networks. It is
more difficult to kill people if the right to kill is limited, or if the
physical ability to kill is limited by a balance of forces. Tribes insisting
on the limitation of power of leaders and neighbors were more likely to have
a stable existence, improving the fitness of people who dislike being
dominated.

The need for network segmentation is even more important now than in our
evolutionary past, unfortunately the innate segmentation instinct (that
contributes to the negative opinions of the US) is not strong enough. It
does not suffice to maintain segmentation which is why I am writing the
email on PC running some sort of Windows OS, and lots of losers fall for
nationalistic or worse, United-Nations type feelings. If we survive the
singularity and get uploaded, network security and therefore the need for
network segmentation, will mean much more than protection from spam.

Rafal