[ExI] solar cell innovation

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Mon Mar 31 05:36:05 UTC 2008

Spike writes

> The MIT guys are announcing solar cells that will deliver a buck a watt
> power, which would make it competitive with coal power:
>
> http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/03/1366-technologies-solar-power-energy

Good news, but not what we really need.

> -panels.php
>
> In the next few decades, our gradual transition away from oil for
> transportation will include a hundred different solutions where currently
> there is really only one.  I can envision single seat ape haulers that are
> radically down-sized and down-speed from our current absurdly over-capable
> inefficient units, for instance.

It's too bad that we are having to waste all our enormous natural
gas delivery capacity and resources on power plants, when
they could very efficiently be powering our vehicles and provide
good competition against oil.

What we *should* be using for our power plants is nuclear energy,
of course.  Unfortunately the same idiot greens and politicians who
got us into this mess (and, in California the same idiots who drove
all the individually owned gas stations out of business with their
deliberately contrived regulation), are going to be in charge of
any changes down the road.  We'll pay and pay, and our economy
will be far slower and weaker than it would have been.

Though I don't think there are any true Earth shaking disasters out
there that we know about (not too much consoliation, that), my
very existence and those of other cryonicists a century hence are
being needlessly risked.

Lee