[ExI] Uploading and selfhood

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Mon Mar 31 14:32:35 UTC 2008

Me:

 "Lee Corbin" <lcorbin at rawbw.com>

> But why so short?

The thing about death that I personally don't like very much is having a
last thought, if I knew it was my last thought then I'd be even more
unhappy. I figure it takes about a second, maybe two, to have a thought.

> What if you were struck on the head and lost all of today's and
> yesterday's memories?  Wouldn't *you* survive?

Perhaps, but I sure as hell wouldn't be happy.

> If you agree, then you should have no problem being replaced by
> your  frozen duplicate in the next room who was made yesterday

I would have an astronomically large problem with that; yesterday was
a very very long time ago and in this instance the changes made in me
since then are far larger than in the typical 24 hours of my life; one is
going through a traumatic experience and one is not. But that's just me,
there is no arguing matters of taste.

  John K Clark