[ExI] Uploading and selfhood

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Mon Mar 31 21:33:01 UTC 2008

John Clark writes

>> What if you were struck on the head and lost all of today's and
>> yesterday's memories?  Wouldn't *you* survive?
>
> Perhaps, but I sure as hell wouldn't be happy.

Well, unless there was a considerable reward involved,
I would not be happy either.

>> If you agree, then you should have no problem being replaced by
>> your  frozen duplicate in the next room who was made yesterday
>
> I would have an astronomically large problem with that; yesterday was
> a very very long time ago and in this instance the changes made in me
> since then are far larger than in the typical 24 hours of my life;

But we are talking about TEN MILLION DOLLARS deposited to
your account.  Assuming that you are not already rich, won't that
be enough?   If not, would any amount of money?  How about
a *guaranteed* successful cryonics suspension and eventual upload?

I want to know what is the least benefit that you will part with
24 hours memory for.

Lee