[ExI] flds raid, was general repudiation...

Lee Corbin lcorbin at rawbw.com
Fri May 2 16:52:28 UTC 2008

Dear Anna,

I sincerely apologize for what I wrote to you very
late last night. I do understand that you are a very
nice, well-meaning individual who just wants to
express her ideas on all the usual topics we discuss
here just like everyone else.

(I also understand that sometimes you don't
distinguish between attacks upon your ideas from
attacks against you personally. There is indeed a
certain logic to that, which I'll say more about
sometime later.)

However, what I said was plainly inexcusable. I said

>> Ah, but *you* know better than does the girl herself, and
>> even better than her parents! Indeed you must feel that
>> God himself speaks through you to have conferred such
>> wisdom concerning particular individuals who you have
>> never met, and until a few weeks ago, never even heard of.

which, although perhaps not technically crossing the line
into ad hominem, comes far, far too close. Why couldn't
I have said "some people" instead of "you"?  It was
inexcusable, doubly-so since it was Anna to whom I
was speaking.  And yes, the reality is that despite our
ideals, *who* one is talking to is, alas, important.

Again, my sincerest apologies, and I will try hard to see
that it never happens again.

I see that there are a number of posts, one from you, on
this subject which I have no time to get to this morning.

With apologies,
Lee