[ExI] flds raid, was general repudiation...

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at insightbb.com
Fri May 2 22:18:44 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com>
Date: Friday, May 2, 2008 15:39
Subject: Re: [ExI] flds raid, was general repudiation...
To: Lee Corbin <lcorbin at rawbw.com>, ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

> BillK wrote:
> Yea, yea. Nothing matters really. It's all relative. Every
> opinion is
> equally valid. Every culture has equal rights. Nobody's culture
> is any
> better than any other culture., etc. etc.
> Why waste time even discussing it?
> >>>

> At this point I don't know what to say that will open the eyes
> of Lee
> and Rafal.  I am stunned at their stance on the matter of
> these young
> 14-15 year-old teenage brides (and baby making machines) married off
> to many decades older men.  Being brainwashed/socially
> conditioned(yes..., brainwashed, that is the right word) by the
> prominent men in
> their community to be an least mostly willing wife/sex partner is
> WRONG.
>
> How can you gentlemen not grok this???
>
> John Grigg  : (

The problem here is theway it was done. There is much disagreement on the exact number but the estimated number of foster children who end up in jail or homeless is usually cited between 25% and 65%.  That's a lot of children who are now going to end up in jail or on the streets. How can anyone think that this is a better life? And do you really think that the girls at the public schools are going to just take these kids in and "help" them adjust?

No one bothered here to go in and figure out which kids were actually being abused and which ones actually wanted to leave. "Brainwashed" or not, happiness and quality of life are the most important. I've been brainwashed to believe that my convertible sports car is cool and fun to drive so I have one and I am happy.

I'm not saying this is a preferrable way of life over ours, but I don't think you understand the culture shock these kids will go through which is far worse than just being brainwashed and being happy. It's obvious some were immune to the brainwashing or this woudl have never come out. No one even considered just asking who wanted to leave and who wanted to stay. The laws are what they are and you can't just totally ignore them just because something hides under the umbrella of religion. But there are many other ways this could have been handled and almost all of them would have been better. What is happening right now amounts to punishing the victims.