[ExI] bees again

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Wed May 7 17:20:11 UTC 2008

> This is a report from that SF study.  Damn.  {8-[
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/06/disappearing.bees.ap/index.html

That is discouraging, but spike, I'm seeing pollinators all over the place now.

There are *very few* honeybees, but lots of others - bumble bees, sweat bees, those
bee-mimicking flies, varieties of little native bees that I don't know the names of,
and little waspy things. IMHO stuff is getting pollinated. The daffodils and
bluebells and other early bulbs are heavy with seed. The butterflies are thick
everywhere.

My veggies are too young - they've not set any blooms so I have no knowledge there.
Yet.  But I am encouraged. :)

Look closely. What other pollinators do you see out there?

At the moment my main trouble is drought. :(  Early perrenials were wilting in the
ground in late April.

When established shrubs drop their bloom in a day and they're not even faded, what
could *that* be? The butterflies were eagerly feeding, and it wasn't cold.

Regards,
MB