[ExI] bees again

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu May 8 04:19:06 UTC 2008

Ja, it isn't just that I fear for lack of pollinators, MB.  I specifically
like bees.  I really like honeybees, always been a fan of them, even before
working two summers as a beekeeper.  Bees are my friends.  I hate to see
their colonies collapse.  They have such cool ways, with their hexagonal
combs, perfectly uniform in size, regardless of where you see them,
regardless of how much food is available, regardless of the local climate.
Why is that?

That being said, the other bugs cannot compete with honeybees in
effectiveness as pollinators.

> There are *very few* honeybees, but lots of others - bumble
> bees, sweat bees, those bee-mimicking flies...

Bee mimicking flies are cool too.  But they don't have that colony thing
going, and all the other cool interesting beehaviors.

> ... IMHO stuff is getting pollinated. The daffodils
> and bluebells and other early bulbs are heavy with seed...

Ja, some of these might be wind pollinated too.  I don't know much about
which plants need bugs to cross pollinate.