[ExI] the big question

David McFadzean davidmc at gmail.com
Sun May 18 15:36:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 8:43 AM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:

> What fascinates me is when everyone (of course in differerent ways based on
> preferences) gets to be very physically attractive.  The "tyranny of
> physical beauty" has held sway for so long that I wonder how things will
> really be when the playing field is much more even.

This experiment is currently being performed in Second Life where
everyone has a very high degree of control over how they appear to
others. What I have observed so far is that when beauty is very common
many residents incorporate (literally) fantastic elements in order to
differentiate themselves in the ongoing quest for attention and
recognition. It is becoming a Red Queen's race that is continually
pushing the technology and creativity of the world.