[ExI] Argument mapping

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at comcast.net
Mon May 19 00:58:18 UTC 2008

Kevin,

I think this is a good surface comparison.  Thanks.

Canonizer is more of a survey system, and seeks to concisely state and
measure consensus (or lack thereof) with all interested people. While
debate graph just collects all related ideas to any controversial issue
and showing lots of relationships between them.  With debate graph, the
ideas and arguments tend to replicate and multiply and be repeated in
myriad different ways, while with the Canonizer, the goal is to murge
and unify all the most important arguments, as concisely stated as
possible, into camps to acheive the greatest possible membership in any
particular camp.

Also, while debate graph has a primitive average voting system for
individual ideas or arguments, canonizer has the ability to know a
persons reputation.  For example, a goal of the canonizer is to have
various canonization algorithms that can measure consensus in different
ways.  For example, what is the consensus in the general population (one
person one vote) vs what is the consensuses of reputable scientists
(i.e. those that have a PhD from a reputable institution on the
subject.) or perhaps what is the consensus amongst people of a
particular religious persuasion.

Thanks

Brent Allsop