[ExI] Argument mapping

Kevin H kevin.l.holmes at gmail.com
Mon May 19 01:56:24 UTC 2008

Yeah, I guess I don't see much utility for such a system.  I think canonizer
could be useful for cases in which argumentation doesn't make much sense:
like preference for look and feel, like the aesthetic appeal of a new model
of car, or a new brand of ice cream.  Otherwise, it looks like it is fit for
measuring cases of a priori conviction and allegiances: like ideologies or
religions; and at worst, breeding conformity.  If I hold belief P and I
learn on canonizer that most people hold opposing belief Q, I might be
tempted to doubt my own belief based on it's unpopularity.

At the very least, the canonizer and argument mapping serve distinct
purposes: the canonizer *measures* opinion, but doesn't offer any means to
help *acquire* an opinion, except for those cases in which popularity is a
somewhat useful measurement for evaluating an opinion, which I can think of
few examples of.

In any case, I don't think canonizer serves the expressed goals of my OP.

Thanks,

Kevin