[ExI] Argument mapping

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Mon May 19 01:12:25 UTC 2008

On Saturday 17 May 2008, Kevin H wrote:
> I don't know how related this is to transhumanism, but I wanted to
> procure opinions about argument mapping on the internet

I think you may be interested in:
http://heybryan.org/docs/cheat_sheet_writing.pdf

It's a document that lists fallacious argumentation structures. I
developed this document a few years ago when I was becoming fed up with
the silly arguments I was seeing in papers for the literature arts
classes in the high school. And since I couldn't bring myself to use
fallacious reasoning without knowing how to be cleverly fallacious, I
did a broad overview of most of the ways to do fallacious reasoning.
That's the result of it. It doesn't go over constructive arguments, but
I am sure that you can come up with a taxonomy for those too, i.e.
certain ways of leading and guiding arguments, much like the basic
logical propositions. There's also a mathematics database out there on
the internet that starts with the 11 axioms of mathematics (ZRG axiom
theory?) and starts from well-formed proofs and moves all the way up to
2+2=4, as a proof. This same logic style can probably be used in
argumentation, but the trick is finding the mapping between what you're
talking about and the structures within the database, the structures
are the patterns - like the recursive Koch snowflakes that go over the
same proofs over and over again on slightly permutated proofs/theorems.

Don't know where it is anymore.

- Bryan