[ExI] Galactic Standard :)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed May 21 17:55:17 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> What's the big deal? In fact, people concerned with monoglottism will
> be able to draft academic papers in Gaelic, Icelandic, Bulgarian or
> Latin soon enough, according to Google's founders views on the pace
> automatic, on the fly translation is improving.
>
> I do not have the link at hand, but this is one point where
> technology, which indeniably played a role in globalisation and loss
> of diversity, may end up helping to reverse such effects.

You might be thinking of this recent news item:
<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/05/google-translate-adds-10-new-languages.html>

Google Translate adds 10 new languages...
5/15/2008 02:06:00 PM                 Posted by Jeff Chin, Product Manager

...and that's great news any way you say it. Language is one of the
biggest challenges we have in making information universally
accessible. As part of the machine translation team within Google
Research, I'm happy to report we've been hard at work to overcome this
challenge. We've recently added translation capabilities for 10 new
languages to Google Translate, bringing the total to 23 languages. The
newly featured languages include Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish,
Finnish, Hindi, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian and Swedish.

But they still don't do Hungarian.   :)

So far as I know only InterTran will attempt to translate Hungarian,
and it makes a real mess of it.

BillK