[ExI] LA Times: 'Hope' makes a case for stem cell research

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at gmail.com
Thu May 22 23:25:01 UTC 2008

Later developments from 2007 onward are not the point, Bryan.

The point is that 8 years of research did not happen at the pace it could or
should have because of the ideological blindness of President Bush and his
allies.

We'll probably never know exactly how many lives could have been improved,
lengthened or saved over the course of that time if the research had been
done. But it might not be too far off the mark to say that the number is
quite large. We'll have some notion of the number once Bush is out and
science can proceed without his obstructionism.

How sad it would be if one day we discover that Bush's opposition to
embryonic stem cell research actually killed more people than even his Iraq
misadventure has.

Regards,
Mike LaTorra