[ExI] Minority of one

Kevin Freels kevinfreels at insightbb.com
Fri May 23 13:50:32 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: M1N3R <m1n3r2 at hotmail.com>
Date: Friday, May 23, 2008 2:21
Subject: [ExI] Minority of one
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>

> There was a topic about 1984. Now, going along that line
> consider Winston
> Smith, the hero of the book. As for the whole party and the
> system, he was a
> lunatic, a minority of one. And yet he thought he was right (but
> now I can't
> quote, he writes it down in his diary). Yeah, "they must somehow
> fail",
> "down with Big Brother". There are so many people out there in
> the real
> world who are considered eccentric, extreme etc by the majority.
> We learn
> about some of them during literature lessons :D. Question is, to
> what extent
> is it justified to be a minority of one? Or is it anyway?

I don't think that eccentricity requires any justification. It is a matter of personal opinion what constitutes "extremism". I would say that neither are harmful except in cases where there is a desire to harm other people. You have to remember that those who threw the American Revolution party were considered by many to be extremists. I guess you would have to look at the underlying ambition and ask if it is in support of increasing control or liberation.