[ExI] flds raid, was general repudiation...

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sun May 25 15:20:14 UTC 2008

Spike:
>The problem I see is that courts take a long time to get things done;
>in that time these desperate parents are suffering a living hell, daily
>wondering where their children are and how they are coping.  Parents among
>us, how would you feel?  What would you do?  I will tell you that I would
>have nothing to live for until I had my child back.  I would camp out on the
>steps of the courthouse and give the news people plenty to talk about.

Me too, but aren't some/many of the parents in custody in various places
too? It's really a hellish situation.

>Speaking of which, where in the GODDAM hell are the national news media?

It looks the most detailed news still comes from the Salt Lake Tribune
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9374637

But upon searching in Google News:
http://news.google.com/news?ned=tus&hl=en&ned=tus&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1215072194

National news finally picked it up yesterday (Newsweek, Associated Press,
CBS, NY Times, USA Today, CNN...)
http://www.newsweek.com/id/138376
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/05/25/national/main4125851.shtml
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/24/us/24raid.html?ref=us
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2008/05/12-children-fro.html
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iIdMpRHjN4hpNKBhfYyAsR4DDo4QD90RLMA01
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/23/flds.next/

And the news is trickling outside the US too
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/no-justification-for-raid-on-texas-mormon-ranch-833590.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article3994699.ece

I don't know if it is on TV (I haven't yet turned on the used TV I bought
last January...), but the printed news media are getting it, at least.

Amara

--

Amara Graps, PhD      www.amara.com
Research Scientist, Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Boulder, Colorado