[ExI] "thoughts to live by" regarding youth subculture

Gina Miller nanogirl at halcyon.com
Tue Nov 11 04:59:00 UTC 2008

Here is the important truth, we are all people. And we are all complex people who have had varied experiences in our lives. What makes people identify with a certain culture is just as complex and varied as our individual lives. We have to be careful about trying to "figure out large groups of people" based on their outward appearance, so that we do not make generalizations. What makes you pick out a pair of pants? Even if you select a piece of low key clothing, why do you select low key clothing? That could be analyzed just as much as the opposite. Why do people choose to be safe or not color outside of the lines? Everyone's external can be psychoanalyzed in this way, if you want to. And what do you think the alternative groups could think of the conservative appearance, they could judge it as "normal', the standard quo, followers, no individuality, the establishment, and no voice.

Certainly some people may identify with a subculture with the point of trying to say something, maybe it's that they need more attention and love because they are not getting enough, perhaps there is something in their life - unseen to us that they are rebelling against, maybe the mainstream kids picked on them when they were a kid so they are going all the way in the opposite direction, maybe their family was that way, but... maybe they are artists, maybe it's an esthetic preference, or a political statement, maybe they just like being an individual, there are so many possibilities and we can analyze for days. But I don't think we need to, and no matter how some one cuts their hair, what they are wearing or what music they listen to, that is all very external. What matters is behavior and trust me, all types of people have both good and bad behavior.

All that aside, there is enough real material out there that we can examine, human rights, pollution, hunger, poverty, and all of our wonderful extropian dreams for the future. How can we help people, how can we help the world. And let's not forget, the world is full of people who look so beautifully different from one another.

Gina "Nanogirl" Miller
Nanotechnology Industries
http://www.nanoindustries.com
Personal: http://www.nanogirl.com
The health stuff blog: http://ginamiller.blogspot.com/
Animation Blog: http://maxanimation.blogspot.com/
Craft blog: http://nanogirlblog.blogspot.com/
Foresight Senior Associate http://www.foresight.org
Email: nanogirl at halcyon.com
"Nanotechnology: Solutions for the future."