[ExI] Foes of stem cell research now face tough battle

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:28:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Sure there is a fringe that would oppose stem cell therapy, but they must
> oppose all medical technology, in which case they would have much bigger
> battles to fight.

Yes, or at least a much larger set of medical technologies, and this is of
course a much less defensible stance "in the court of the public opinion".

Those who oppose embryonic cell therapy on the other hand have an actual
> argument.  It is one with which I disagree (that embryos are human life,
> and
> creating them to heal another is wrong.)  But at least they have an actual
> case, one which has plenty of followers.

OTOH, let us say that I clone a liver from any cell of mine, by inhibiting
the growth of all other organs. Is it really different from growing a liver
by any other mean? Once it is recognised that all cells have the potential
to give place to a full individual, there is no real reason to discriminate
them depending on the fact that their DNA has gone through an ovum at a
certain stage or not.

Stefano Vaj